Business Office Home Page


Home  >  Business Office Home Page  >  Perkins

If you Borrow a:
Perkins Loan (210)829-6084 if you cannot make a payment, need to complete an Entrance interview, sign a Promissory Note, sign a self-certification note or complete an Exit interview
Nursing Loan
Nurse Faculty Loan
Ralston Loan
All other Perkins Loan questions should be referred to:
University Accounting Services  1-800-999-6227
Correspondence should be mailed to: Payments should be mailed to:

University Accounting Services

P.O. Box 392

Brookefield, WI 53008-0932

University Accounting Service, LLC

Attn: Payment Processing Dept. 

P.O. Box 5866

Carol Stream, IL 60197-5866

ELECTRONIC PAYMENTS can be made online by logging on to:


Where do I sign my promissory note?

Students can now sign their promissory notes online at 

What is a Federal Perkins Loan?

A Federal Perkins loan is a low-interest (5 percent) loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need.  The University of The Incarnate Word is your lender.  The loan is made with federal funds with a share contributed by the school.  You must repay this loan to your school. The Office of Financial Assistance determines your eligibility.  

How much can I borrow?

Depending on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of the school, you can borrow up to

$4,000 for each year of undergraduate study (the total amount you can borrow as an undergraduate is $20,000 if you have completed two years of undergraduate work; otherwise the total you can borrow is $8,000).

$6,000 for each year of graduate or professional study (the total amount you can borrow as a graduate/professional student is $40,000, including any Federal Perkins Loans you borrowed as an undergraduate). 

Who is my lender?

The University of the Incarnate Word.

When will my Perkins Loan be posted to my student account?

UIW will credit your account upon completion of an Entrance Interview, sign promissory note, completion of self-certification form, and acknowledgement of disclosure statements.  Call the Business Office at 829-6084 if you have questions regarding the completion of the entrance interview. To sign your loan please login  Generally, you'll receive the loan in at least two payments during the academic year. 

When do I pay back this loan?

Repayment begins nine months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time status (you may  have longer than nine months if you are on active duty with the military).  This is called a grace period.  If you're attending less than half-time, check with University Accounting Services at (800) 999-6227 to determine your grace period.  At the end of your grace period, you must begin repaying your loan.  The loan repayment period is 10 years.

Is there a charge for this loan?

A Perkins Loan borrower is not charged any fees.  However, if you skip a payment, make a payment late, or make less than a full payment, you may have to pay a late charge.  If your failure to make payment persists, you may have to pay collection costs as well. 

How much will I have to repay each month?

Your minimum monthly payment amount will be $40.00 and will depend on the size of your debt. The length of your repayment period is ten (10) years.

Can I postpone payment for my Federal Perkins Loan?

Yes, under certain circumstances, you can receive a deferment or forbearance on your loan. Deferments/Forbearance are not automatic.  You must apply for one through University Accounting Services (UAS) by using a deferment request form which University Accounting Services can give you or you can download the information off of the University Accounting Services website at  You must file your deferment/forbearance request on time or you will be responsible for late charges..  For more details on deferments, contact UAS at (800) 999-6227.

During a deferment, you are allowed to temporarily postpone payments on your loan, and no interest accrues.  You may receive a deferment under certain conditions, such as unemployment.

If you are temporarily unable to meet your repayment schedule but are not eligible for a deferment, you can receive forbearance for a limited and specific period.  During forbearance, your payments are postponed or reduced.  Interest continues to accrue; which the borrower is responsible for.

Forbearance isn't automatic either.  You may be granted forbearance in up to 12-month intervals for up to three years.  You must apply in writing  forbearance through the school that made your loan or University Accounting Services.  You'll have to provide documentation to support your request for forbearance.  You must continue making scheduled payments until you are notified that deferment or forbearance has been granted.          

Can my Federal Perkins Loan be cancelled?  

Yes.  If the borrower dies or if the Department of Education determines that the borrower is totally and permanently disabled, the loan can be canceled.  A loan can also qualify for cancellation under certain other conditions- as long as the borrower is not in default.  For more information, contact University Accounting Services.

If you serve as an enlisted person in certain specialties of the U.S. Department of Defense you may, as an enlistment incentive, repay a portion of your student loan.  Note that this is not a cancellation.  If you think you qualify, contact your recruiting officer.

If you have any questions about the terms of your Federal Perkins Loan, repayment obligations, deferment, forbearance, or cancellation, check with UIW.  Only UIW may grant deferment, forbearance, or cancellation, or make other decisions concerning your loan.  

Do I have to pay my loan even if I don't receive a bill?

Yes, it is the Borrower's responsibility to pay the loan regardless of whether a monthly statement is received.

When is my first payment due?

Nine months after graduation or nine months after leaving UIW.  Unless you are enrolled at another institution with a status of half-time or more.  In this case you can defer your loan for as long as you remain at least a half-time student.  You must complete the required student deferment form.  For forms and information on other types of deferments as well as the status of your loan call 1-800-999-6227.    

Where do I send my payments?

University Accounting Services, Attn: Payment Processing Dept. P.O. Box 5291 Carol Stream, IL 60197-5293,

How do I get information on the interest I paid on my Perkins, Nursing, Faculty Nursing and Ralston and loans?

Log on to - Borrowers already authenticated through the University Accounting Services ECHO electronic billing and payment system simply enter their credentials. Borrowers not authenticated must enter the social security, zip code and university name. If a borrower does not access the electronic form, University Accounting Services will mail one by January 31. (The IRS deadline)

Is my loan reported to the Credit Bureau?

Yes, all loans are reported and updated accordingly. 

Where can I update my address?

Send address changes to: University Accounting Services,  P.O. Box 932 Brookefield, WI 53008-0932.

What if I will not be a returning student to UIW?

First, students must notify the Finance Loan Officer at (210) 829-6084 or via email at Graduation or withdrawal from UIW, you must complete an Exit Interview.  You may now complete your exit interview online, please log on to the following site It is required that all borrowers have an email address. If the website does not have an email address for you, you must provide one. Once you have provided your email address, the site will email you an invitation to the exit web site. This is an over night process. You will be able to continue your exit the next day.