We offer the following degree sequence (four-year degree plan) to assist students and advisors.
Following this sequence increases the likelihood of completing this degree in four years' time. Dropping courses, retaking classes, or registering for less than a full course load will delay graduation, so always consult your academic advisor before deviating from this suggested sequence. Students may enroll in a course only if they have met all prerequisites for that course. Check the UIW Bulletin for details.
The curriculum in History leads students to appreciate and understand the development of the contemporary world through the interaction of diverse forces over space and time. The history department supports the global initiatives of the university through its courses in both world and United States history. The study of history involves analysis and integration of a broad range of knowledge. Students acquire skills that prepare them for graduate school or a variety of careers.
Major requirements for a Bachelor of Arts (39 semester hours in History):
1. 18 required credit hours in History:
2. 9 credit hours selected from the following United
States History courses:
3. 9 credit hours selected from the following Global History
4. 6 additional credit hours (upper- or lower-division) that, in addition to the courses listed above, can include the following:
5. A minor in an approved discipline, or an approved interdisciplinary concentration.
Requirements for a Minor in History: HIST 1311, 1312, 1321, 1322 plus 3 upper-division semester hours to be selected from the United States History courses and 3 upper-division semester hours to be selected from the Global History courses.