Yes, transfer students may participate in the Honors Program. Applications are due by July 31 in order to process applications in time for entrance in the fall semester, adjust fall class schedules as needed,and to participate in the August honors orientation.
1) All honors students must earn 20 honors points within three categories--Curriculum, Scholarship, and Self-Development--to achieve University Honors. This includes completing a minimum of four honors courses, including the required honors courses, and as many of the optional electives as needed to satisfy UIW's degree requirements. Every student is expected to explore his or her discipline in depth to fulfill the scholarship requirement. Self-development options include opportunities in leadership, study abroad and service. Students entering after the freshman year may submit for honors point consideration for certain activities and courses completed before entering UIW.
2) All honors students graduate cum laude, which means a 3.5 GPA. Each semester, the Director check in with every student to discuss their progress towards this goal.
3) Students also complete an Honors Bucket List, attending 24 events of their choosing, by graduation in the categories of service, culture and academic. The idea behind the this requirement is to practice reaching out to others that need assistance, to gain leadership and organizational skills, to expand personal experience of the arts and to gain exposure to subjects outside the major. The bonus is that honors students get a jump on fulfilling the university's 45-hour community service requirement.
4) There are also monthly meetings for all honors students to attend, similar to any student club on campus. Students must attend at least two meetings per semester.
5) Finally, we strongly encourage every student to attend one of the social justice trips offered each year.