Photo of the Week
The ladies of HR join Red the Cardinal for a photo during the Hawaiian-themed Employee Appreciation Ice Cream Social.
top of page
Our Lady’s Chapel Services
All are welcome.
- Noon Mass, Monday – Friday.
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
- Liturgy of the Hours evening prayer at 4:30 p.m. every Wednesday
- Sacrament of Reconciliation - 11:30 a.m. Fridays or by appointment.
The Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary Mass celebration
The Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary, a Holy Day of Obligation, is Friday, Aug. 15. Mass will be celebrated at noon in Our Lady's Chapel. The mass will include a brief ceremony in which Br. Joshua Warshak, O.SS.T will make his canonical renewal of religious vows. All C.C.V.I. Sisters are invited to make their annual devotional renewal of vows. For more information, please contact Fr. Tom at (210) 829-3131 or Dymowski@uiwtx.edu.
Upcoming Mass services
The UIW community is invited to attend a Welcome Mass on Sunday, Aug. 17, 10:30 a.m. in the Chapel of the Incarnate Word to celebrate the start of the Fall semester. Everyone is also invited to attend Mass of the Holy Spirit on Wednesday, Aug. 27, noon in our Lady’s Chapel. For more information, please contact Mission & Ministry at (210) 829-3128 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page
President Dr. Lou Agnese helps keep things cool at Freshmen Move-In by distributing water to incoming freshmen and parents.
(L-R) Assistant Director of Alumni Relations Steve Hemphill, Advancement Data Services Coordinator Ralph Flanigan, Development Office Manager Sylvia Kutchenreuter, Special Events Coordinator Kayla Rice, Marketing and Advertising Coordinator Summer Chandler, Coordinator of Annual Funds Patrick Greener and Records and Gifts Coordinator Marcos Contreras pose for a photo at the social event.
top of page
Is your office/ department moving?
If your office is moving this summer please let us know where and when so we can include your information in the upcoming issues of The Word Today... For more information, please contact Jonathan Salas at (210) 832-2162 or email@example.com.
- UIW training Coordinator Terence Peak and Instructional Designer Jessica Martinez-Palacios have relocated to room G16 on the ground floor of the Mabee Library.
- UIW Director of Instructional Technology Ana Gonzalez has relocated to Mabee Library Room 223.
- Senior Director of Digital Infrastructure & User Services Ben Rosebrock is moving from AD 28 to AD 433.
- Director of Infrastructure Support Carl Haywood is moving from AD 27 to AD 434.
- Telephone Systems Administrator Steve Summers is moving from AD 26 to AD Fourth Floor
- Assistant Director of Web Development Joe Vasquez is relocating from AD 25 to AD 437.
- Adela Gott, the Multimedia Specialist, has moved from Library room G-15 to room G-27, inside the Media Center.
- Assistant Professor Tanja Stampfl has relocated from AD 340C to AD 353.
- VP of Information Resources & CIO Dan Duffy has relocated to AD 430
- Administrative Assistant to IRD Diana Fonseca –AD 429
- Director of Enterprise Applications Iris Solcher AD 432
- Assistant Director of Enterprise Applications Ciro Juarez AD 435
- Application Support Analysts Jessica Gomez, Joanna Arredondo and Vanessa Garza AD 436
- Senior Programmer Analyst Angela Williams AD 436
- Senior Programmer/ DBA Terry Schilousky AD 443
- DBA/ Programmer Sid Fernandez AD 443
- Senior Programmer Analyst/ Ancillary systems Armando Villarreal AD 444
- Senior Programmer Analyst/ Reporting and Data Integration Thomas Dziuk AD 444
- Director of Web Development Troy Knickerbocker has relocated to AD 441.
- Senior Instructor and Logos Adviser Michael Mercer has relocated from AD 277 to AD 211.
- UIW Convergent Media’s John Miller and Gino Segovia have moved from AD 41 to LIB G 13 (on the Library’s Ground floor near the Media Center).
- Sr. Brigid Marie Clarke, CCVI, has relocated to 536 W. Kings Hwy. #2 (78212).
- Assistant Professor Dr. Ann D. David is located in GB Suite 124/Rm125.
- DSE School Secretary Jesse Martinez is located in GB Suite 124
- Dr. Renea Fike has relocated from GB Suite 124/Rm125 to GB Suite 142/Rm147
- Dr. Sharon Herbers is currently in GB Suite 142/Rm147
- Dr. Stephanie Grote-Garcia is now in GB Suite 124/Rm126
- Dr. Lori A. Falcon has moved from GB Suite 124/Rm125 to GB Suite 142/Rm144
- DSE Induction Coordinator Brandi Rodriguez has relocated from GB 104 to GB 148
- ADRC Coordinator Joan Labay-Marquez has relocated from GB 229 to GB 104
Please remember to update your directory listing, as well, using this form: http://www.uiw.edu/technology/request-forms/directory-update-request-form/
Fall 2014 New Graduate Student and Family Orientation
Fall 2014 orientation for new graduate students and family provides them both with a sense of belonging to the UIW community. The orientation has three tracks: the student track, the family track, and the Little Cardinal’s track. The student track will cover information on support services and important academic policies. The family track is designed to illustrate the positive ways that family/friends can support their graduate student throughout the Master’s program. The Little Cardinal’s track features arts and crafts that tie into the overall theme of orientation. The orientation is Saturday, August 16, 8:30 a.m.- 1 p.m. in the Marian Hall Ballroom. For more information, please contact the UIW Graduate Support Center at (210) 832-5628 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blackboard Walk-In Training Session
UIW Faculty is invited to drop by Instructional Technology in AD 212 anytime between 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 19 and Wednesday, Aug. 20 for personal assistance with Blackboard. Instructional Technology staff can help with any aspect of Blackboard including posting documents, setting up grade books and making courses available. Attendees are asked to bring their syllabus, course outline and questions. For more information, please contact Terence Peak at (210) 829-3920 or email@example.com.
top of page
Extended Academic Programs
EAP on GI Jobs Military Friendly Schools for 2015 list
EAP was named on the list of GI Jobs Military Friendly Schools for 2015.EAP’s inclusion is the sixth year in a row that the list includes the program.
top of page
- Freshmen Move-In Day News Coverage
- SA’s Samantha Plasencia on “Project Runway” for her fourth challenge.
- Read Express-News Writer Michael Quintanilla’s take on UIW’s own, here.
Cheer and Dance Tryouts
UIW Athletics and UIW Spirit will host Cheer and Dance tryouts on Saturday, Aug. 23, 6-9 p.m. in the Alice P. McDermott Convocation Center. Please let students know who may be interested. Tryout fee is $15. For more information, please contact Melissa Martinez at (210) 283-6406 or UIWAthletics@uiwtx.edu. Visit www.uiw.edu/spirit for additional tryout information, including required uniforms.
Planned maintenance disruption of internet service
AT&T Engineering will perform a planned maintenance on Friday Aug. 22, between 12:01-6 a.m. Service will be restored by Friday, Aug. 22, 7 a.m. As a result of this maintenance, internet service may be disrupted at the following campuses and users may not be able to access the internet: UIW Main Campus, St. Anthony Catholic High School, Incarnate Word High School, School of Physical Therapy, Datapoint, Bowden Center, Frank Bryant Clinic, Watson Apartments, The Watson Building, Pecan Valley, Lighthouse for the Blind, Callaghan Rd. Clinic, Rolling Oaks and 3303 Broadway (Bus Barn). For more information, please contact the UIW Helpdesk at (210) 829-2721 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cup Runneth Over
TRiO Student Support Services will once again work with women and families in transition by collecting and assembling cup care packages.
“Cup Runneth Over” is a way in which the faculty, administrators, and staff can give something back to those experiencing difficulties in their lives. Collection of items will begin Monday, Aug. 18, 8 a.m. and run until Monday, Nov. 24, 5 p.m. Please consider donating the following:
• Mugs in good condition
• Hotel toiletries
• Toothbrushes and small toothpastes
• Individually wrapped tea bags or packets of hot chocolate
• Any other small item that would be appropriate and helpful
Items can be delivered to the TRiO Lab in AD 225. For more information or assistance with item collection, please contact TRiO Student Support Services at (210) 805-5812.
top of page
Employee Health & Wellness
Are you really hungry – or dehydrated? Lack of water can make you think you’re hungry for food, leading to overeating and weight gain. Drink two liters of water daily, evenly spaced through the day. For more health tips, visit here.
The Provost's Annual Workshop for Adjunct Faculty
All UIW adjunct faculty members are invited to join colleagues for breakfast and a brief informational program on Saturday, Aug. 23, 9-11 a.m. in Marian Hall Ballroom. Events will include the Provost’s up-date on new developments at the university, information on new initiatives, and displays of campus services. Please RSVP to https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/adjunctworkshop or email@example.com For more information, please contact Kathy Allwein at (210) 283-5030.
top of page
UIW Prep Hiring Adjunct Instructors for the 2014 – 2015 Academic Year
UIW Preparatory High School is seeking adjunct instructors to facilitate online high school and dual credit courses for the 2014 – 2015 academic year. All UIW Prep instructors must have: a minimum of a bachelor's degree and a current state-issued educator certificate at the secondary level in the subject area to be taught; and/or a master's degree from an accredited college or university in the subject area to be taught. If you are a full-time UIW, IWHS or SACHS employee and are interested in this adjunct teaching opportunity, please contact Melissa A. Sayre (UIW Prep Coordinator of Faculty) at firstname.lastname@example.org or (210) 805-3084 for more information.
SACHS is looking for a head swim coach
St. Anthony Catholic High School is currently looking for a head swim coach. If interested or for more information, please contact Athletic Director Kevin Smisek at (210) 832-5620 or email@example.com.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit the UIW Prep website at http://prep.uiw.edu.
top of page
Volunteer Workdays at Headwaters Sanctuary
Headwaters at Incarnate Word is hosting a volunteers work day at the Headwaters Sanctuary; adjacent to the UIW baseball field on Saturday, Aug. 16, 7:30-10:30 a.m.. Volunteers are eligible for off-campus community service hours.
The Sanctuary contains the original source of the San Antonio River, the famous Blue Hole. Volunteers can help restore the Sanctuary by removing invasive plants, making trails, picking up trash, and planting native plants. Participants are reminded to dress for the woods with clothing such as long pants, long sleeves and closed-toe shoes. Volunteers will meet at the picnic tables north of the baseball fields. For more information, please contact Helen Ballew at (210) 828-2224 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our sympathy and prayers go to:
- The family of Anne Kelly Christian (BA ’65) on her recent death.
- The family of and the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament on the recent loss of Sr. Teresita Rodriguez, IWBS (MA ’78).
- Louis Martin Schwartz & family on the recent loss of his wife, Joy F. Schwartz (BA ’71).
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for events listed in this newsletter, visit www.uiw.edu/ada.
top of page