New UIW Graduate Student & Family Orientation
Coordinated by the Office of Research and Graduate Studies, the New UIW Graduate Student & Family Orientation provides an overview of what to expect as a new graduate student including information on policies, procedures, resources and services on campus. Family and friends will learn how to offer support throughout the educational experience.
New graduate students will meet faculty, administrators and fellow graduate students. To attend the New Graduate Student & Family Orientation, you must be an admitted graduate student for the Summer 2017 or Fall 2017 semester. All admitted graduate students (domestic and international) are required to attend the orientation. International students should also check the Office of International Student and Scholar Services for addtional information on the International Student Orientation.
Fall 2017 Orientation
Fall 2017 UIW New Graduate Student & Family Orientation sessions will be held on August 26 at the main UIW campus - Student Engagement Center from 9am to 12:30 pm. Registration opens at 8:00am. Students are encouraged to attend with their family & friends. Free breakfast and childcare are provided (3-13 years old). Free parking will be available on Saturday for this orientation.
Graduate Support Center
Administration Building, Suite 1A
Download the App
Click here for a quick guide of Eventbrite
Spring 2017 Orientation
Information for New Graduate Students
Get your Student ID at the Office of Campus Life, located in the Administration building AD 55 (across from the post office). *Your first ID is FREE!
You will need your card for the following activities:
· Load money onto your card to purchase food on campus
· Receive access to study rooms in the library, especially those designated for graduate students
· Check out books from the library as well as be allowed entry after 9:00pm
· Gain entry into the Wellness Center, Natatorium, Athletic Events, and theater performances.
For more information on obtaining an ID card, call the Student Center Desk at (210) 841-7360 or visit online at http://www.uiw.edustudentlife/studentcenter.html
Registration for classes
Contact your advisor in order to register for classes each semester. They will give you a PIN (that changes each semester) to register for classes. Communicate with your advisor in a timely fashion to ensure you get the necessary classes.
- The bookstore is located on the 4th floor of the Grossman International Conference Center (ICC). (847 E. Hildebrand, San Antonio, TX. 78212)
- You have the option of purchasing a paper copy of your textbook as well renting or downloading it digitally (if applicable).
- To utilize the online UIW Bookstore and identify which books you need, click here for instructions:
- Any bookstore credit will be applied to your UIW ID. To check if you qualify for a book loan or would like more information, visit the following link: http://www.uiw.edu/busoff/bookstore.html
Hours of operation Monday through Friday 8am-5pm
Your UIW Bookstore Manager is Anne Richards
Textbook Manager: 210-805-5870
Fax: (210) 829-6057
- The UIW Center for Veteran Affiars employs a dedicated stuff to assist you with VA benefits. Call today at (210) 832-2154 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- This office is located on the Ground Level of the Administration Building, Room 79.
- Hours of Operation include 8:00am-5:00pm M-F.
*The University of the Incarnate Word is proud to provide veterans with dedicated resources to assist with meeting their education goals. In fact, UIW has been recognized as a Best for Vets and Military-Friendly School because of our efforts helping veterans and active duty military.
The UIW Mabee Library is located in the central part of the main campus.
- Graduate Research Librarian: Graduate Research Librarian, Polly McCord, is available to work with graduate students to develop their information literacy and research skills. Group or one-on-one consultations are available. Polly can help with developing a topic, research strategies and evaluating resources. Contact her at 210-805-5809 or email@example.com.
- Graduate Support Services: The UIW Library works with the Graduate Support Center to provide support services for graduate students, including academic workshops. To find out more about these opportunities to enhance your research skills and knowledge visit GSC.
- Graduate Computer Rooms: Graduate students may use two rooms on the first floor (103 and 105) for individual, quiet research and writing. Students who need to work collaboratively should request a group study room.
- Doctoral Study Room: The library has a room (233) for doctoral students to use for research and writing when they are at the dissertation writing stage of their doctoral studies.
- Dissertation and Thesis Binding: The university no longer requires masters or doctoral students to supply a copy of their thesis or dissertation to the library. The library will continue to facilitate binding for students wishing to have copies of their thesis or dissertation bound for personal use. Cost for binding is $15 for each copy.
For more information go to: http://library.uiwtx.edu
Also be sure to like the Office of Research and Graduate Studies' Facebook Page and Twitter for regular updates:
Our orientation awarded the 2014 “National Example of Excelencia” award.