Submitting Documents for Review
Who Must Submit
All students who write a thesis, doctoral project or dissertation as partial fulfillment of their degree requirements must submit an electronic copy into The Athenaeum.The Athenaeum is the university repository of scholarly work, supported and maintained by the Mabee Library. Dissertation writers, in addition, must use UIW's ProQuest Administrator tool to deposit a copy of their dissertation into the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Global database.
The policies governing theses, doctoral projects, and dissertations are presented in the Graduate Bulletin in Chapter IV, "Master's Degree Requirements," and Chapter V, "Doctoral Degree Requirements." Be aware of policies regarding
- the formation and composition of committees,
- student and faculty member responsibilities,
- deadlines, and
- the document submission and review process.
How to Submit Your Document for Format Review and Publication
Only electronic copies are accepted for format review. Do not make print copies. Here is how to submit your document for review:
- Click on The Athenaeum link and sign in. First-time users: Follow the instructions for creating a password protected account.
- Locate Author Corner on The Athenaeum home page and click on Submit Research.
- Choose your document type (either Theses & Dissertations or Doctor of Nursing Practice).
- Read and consent to the submission agreement.
- Complete all sections of the submission form. Note: Under Author entry, enter a permanent email address. The Athenaeum system will send periodic reports to you about who is reading your work and their location, and you will want to continue to receive those reports after graduation.
- To complete the submission, upload the full text of the thesis, doctoral project or dissertation and select the "Submit" button.
The thesis, doctoral project or dissertation must be completely and correctly formatted in accordance with university formatting requirements for scholarly presentation and publication standards. The standards are defined in the style guides for the various document types. Page Templates are available to help in the formatting task.
When to Submit Your Document
Deadlines for submitting finished theses, doctoral projects and dissertations to the Office of Research and Graduate Studies for format review:
March 15, for graduation in May
June 1, for graduation in August
October 15, for graduation in December
If a submission due date falls on a weekend, the submission is due the following Monday.
Allow at least three weeks for format review to be completed.
Student work submitted after the deadlines may not be reviewed in time to meet the graduation deadlines set by the UIW Registrar. View the Academic Calendar for deadlines and other important information.
Reminder: All research protocols must be closed before a student can graduate. For information on the IRB closure process, visit the Office of Research Development's Human Subjects Research Institutional Review Board page.