Office Of The Registrar

Withdrawing from the University

Home  >  Office Of The Registrar  >  Withdrawing from the University

A withdrawal is defined as canceling your entire enrollment within a particular semester. If you withdraw, you are no longer associated with the university. A drop is defined as canceling registration of an individual course or courses while maintaining enrollment in at least one course. Withdrawing has an effect on your financial aid, for both the current and future semesters, and on your academic progress which could result in your dismissal from the university.


 If you wish to withdraw, you must contact the appropriate office below to initiate the process.


Undergraduate Students (Campus)
(210) 805-5813
Graduate/Ph.D./Professional Students
(210) 829-3157
School of Professional Studies
Contact your academic advisor

A withdrawal affects both a student’s bill as well as any financial aid the student may have received. Students may or may not be eligible for a refund or a reduction of charges based upon the date of the withdrawal. The refund schedule defines the amount of tuition and fees (if any) to be refunded based on the date of withdrawal. A separate Return of Title IV calculation must be processed on any financial aid the student has received and may result in the student having a balance with the University after withdrawing.
  • A student’s withdrawal from the University will be considered as occurring the day the student turns in the withdrawal form to the Office of Student Success (for undergraduate students) or to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research (for graduate, doctorate, and professional students). The student must obtain a signature from the appropriate office before the student’s withdrawal will be considered official.
  • If you attend class in any semester and then withdraw or earn zero credit after aid has been disbursed, you may be required to return any funds received, including funds credited to pay tuition and fees.
  • Financial aid must be used for educationally related expenses during your dates of enrollment. Federal regulations require the Financial Aid Office to calculate the amount of aid you “earned” for the number of days you attended. Any “unearned” aid for when you did not attend classes or were not enrolled must be repaid.
  • If you withdraw before the start of the semester or never attend any classes, 100% of aid disbursed to you must be repaid. If a repayment is owed, you will be billed by the Business Office. You may not register and are not eligible for further aid until repayment is made in full. Additionally, we may also report you to a collection agency until we receive full funds and your balance is cleared.

Exit interviews are required to complete the withdrawal process. If you received a Perkins loan, complete the exit interview online at If you received the Stafford and/or Graduate PLUS loans, complete an exit interview online at (choose Stafford Exit or Stafford and Grad PLUS Combined Exit).


Office of the Registrar
University of the Incarnate Word
4301 Broadway, CPO 304
San Antonio, TX  78209
Phone:  (210) 829-6006
Fax:  (210) 829-3922