Office Of The Registrar

Frequently Asked Questions

Home  >  Office Of The Registrar  >  Frequently Asked Questions


  • Registration Questions

    Can I take a course at another institution during my last semester at UIW?

    Of the final 45 semester hours required for your degree, 36 must be completed in residence on the campus of UIW.  You may not take work at another institution during your final semester at UIW without prior approval from the Registrar's Office. You may complete the Request to Study at Another Institution form online by clicking here.

    Do I need my adviser's signature to change my schedule?

    You will need your adviser's signature to both register and change your schedule.  If you register on-line via the web, you will need the alternate PIN to enter the registration area.  If you register on-campus using the paper forms, you will need the signature.

     How do I register for a class that is closed?

    Each class has a limit on the number of students allowed to register for the class.  The limit is based upon the space limitations of the room selected for the class.  If the class you want is closed, your only option is to add your self to the wait list. More information on the waitlist can be found here.

    What is the alternate PIN?

    The alternate PIN ensures that you have received academic advisement. You may obtain your alternate PIN only from your advisor. Advising is an essential element in the registration process and you must contact your advisor before you are able to register. If you do not have an academic advisor, you must contact the University Advising Center (undergraduate students, (210) 805-5814) or the Graduate Office (graduate students, (210) 829-3157) who will assign an advisor to you as appropriate for your chosen major. Each advisor has a unique identification number (alternate PIN) for each of his or her advisees. You will receive your alternate PIN after you have completed advisement. Once you have obtained the alternate PIN, you may register for your classes.

    Your use of the alternate PIN indicates your approval of the courses suggested by your advisor. Should you register for courses other than those suggested by your advisor, neither the University not your advisor may be held accountable for your enrollment. Changes in your advised schedule may result in unnecessary courses, unnecessary charges, and delay your graduation.

    When do classes start?

    Please refer to the academic calendar.

    When is the last day to register or add a class?

    Please refer to the academic calendar.

    Who is my academic advisor?

    Your academic advisor is an official with the University who will serve as your mentor to guide you through the registration process, schedule selection, degree selection, and, hopefully career or graduate school selection. S/he is appointed to you by either the University Advising Center ot the Graduate School, depending upon your level.

    Why doesn't my PIN work?

    The functions you may access through the web are for students, faculty, and employees. These functions require a password, or PIN (Personal Identification Number), which is assigned to you by the University. Upon first entry into the secure area of web registration, you will be prompted to change your PIN to a password of your choice. Be sure you write your new PIN down so that you will remember it. You cannot go beyond the login screen without resetting your PIN. You will be prompted to verify your PIN after the initial entry. To verify your PIN, re-enter your new PIN at the prompt. After three attempts of entering the wrong PIN, your PIN will become inactive and will no longer work.

    Why do you have registration deadlines?

    Registration deadlines allow us to conduct the business of the University. Once the last day to add or register occurs, for example, we notify financial lenders that students are enrolled so that they will disburse funds to the University to cover your tuition. Many planning activities occur after the passage of significant deadlines. For this reason, we steadfastly enforce all deadlines.




  • Degree Questions

    How do I get a degree plan?

    We do not issue paper degree plans but instead provide students with the access to the online degree evaluation tool called Degree Works.   We recommend that students generate a Degree Works evaluation at the end of each semester.

    Graduate and doctoral students must meet with their advisers who will prepare the degree plan for them.

    Official degree audits are issued when the student has applied to graduate.  Students should apply to graduate no more than one year prior to the anticipated date of graduation.  If you are in your final year of enrollment, you should visit with your advisor. We send advisers graduation packets for their advisees when they are nearing the completing their degree.

    How many hours are required for a degree?

    The hours required for a degree differ based upon the level of your program (bachelors, masters, doctorate) and your specific degree.  Refer to the general requirements link for requirements for your program.

    Why doesn't Academic Literacy or ESL courses count toward my degree?

    Courses that apply toward a degree must be college level.  Academic Literacy and ESL courses are valuable courses because they prepare students for the rigors of college level work.  We want to assist our students attain competency in our courses and have developed these courses for that purpose.  The courses do count toward the hours earned; however, do not satisfy the required hours (120) for graduation.

    What is the community service requirement?

    The first Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word who came to San Antonio to minister to the sick and the poor were motivated by the Love of God and their recognition of God's presence in each person.  It is in this spirit that the Community Service requirement was created and each student is required to serve others.  Students may satisfy this graduation requirement by:  selecting volunteer opportunities posted by Campus Ministry, taking courses designated as service-learning courses, or a combination of volunteer opportunities and service-learning courses. Students are encouraged to discuss with their advisors, early in their university experience, the options for fulfilling the Community Service requirement and the method of documenting their service. The documentation must be received by the Registrar's Office before you apply to graduate. For information on how to submit your community service hours, please contact the Ettling Center for Civic Leadership or click here

     What are advanced hours?

    Advanced hours are those courses that are considered junior or senior at UIW.  The first number of the UIW course determines whether or not the course is considered advanced.  At UIW, number that starts with a "3 or 4" is considered advanced.  All undergraduate degrees require 36 advanced hours.  In no instance will a course taken at a junior/community/two-year college satisfy the advanced level requirement.  While a course taken at a junior/community/two-year college may satisfy the degree requirements, thus substituting for the advanced course, it will not be used in the calculation of the required advanced hours.

     Where can I find the requirements for my degree?

    The requirements for your degree are listed in the Academic Advisement Handbook (distributed from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Advisement), the Graduate Office, your academic advisor, or the University catalog.  When you apply to your major, an official degree plan, listing the degree requirements, is prepared for you. This degree plan is then mailed to both you and your advisor.

  • Grades, Credit Hours, and GPA Questions

    Are grades of D accepted in the Core Curriculum, major/concentration, support work or minor?

    You cannot receive a grade less than a “C” in your major, minor, teaching fields, concentrations, specialization or support work. Additionally, ENGL 1311 and ENGL 1312 both require a grade of C or higher. Some majors require a minimum of a C in College Algebra as well. A minimum GPA of 2.00 is required for graduation and a 2.50 is required for admission into many of the major programs.

     Can I get my grades on the web?

    Using your PIN, you may view your semester grades or transcript on-line via the web.  If you have a hold in the Business Office, you will not be able to view your grades and must contact the Business Office to remove the hold.

    Can I get my grades or GPA over the phone?

    Because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we cannot release your grades or your GPA over the phone.  This information is available to you through the web.

    Can I repeat a UIW course by taking the course at another institution?

    UIW courses may not be repeated at another institution.  Only UIW courses can replace grades recorded at UIW.  Transfer work, CLEP, or departmental examination cannot be used to repeat a course recorded at UIW. Effective Fall 2017, the highest grade earned will be used in the calculation of the grade point average.  Courses used to repeat recorded grades must be the exact course (i.e., same course number and title) of the original course for which the repeat is intended.  While other courses may substitute for degree course requirements, they will not remove the original recorded grade from the grade point average calculation.

     How can I find out how many hours I have completed?

    You may view your unofficial transcript on-line via the web to review your cumulative statistics.  The hours you have earned through your enrollment at UIW and those that transferred and have been evaluated are available on-line.  You may view the your evaluated work on-line at Bannerweb.

     How do I protest a grade I received?

    The grades you receive each semester are considered final and are rarely over-turned.  However, if you believe that you received a grade in error, you must initiate your appeal through the instructor of the course.  If there is no resolution with the instructor, the official appeal process goes through the department coordinator and then the Dean of the school/college responsible for the course.  All appeals must be in writing.

     How long do I have to complete a grade of IP?

    Undergraduates must complete their work for which an IP grade was recorded within six months.  Graduate students must complete their work within one year.  Students who have applied to graduate must complete the IP course work by the last day to add or register for the semester during which they plan to graduate.

     How many hours are needed to determine full-time status?

    A minimum of 12 semester hours is required for full-time status.  You must hold full-time status to qualify for many financial aid packages, scholarships, athletics, and many activities on campus.  You may view your cumulative GPA and hours earned on-line at Bannerweb.

     How will my transfer work be counted?

    A course that is normally considered part of a bachelor’s degree program will be accepted in transfer.  A course with a grade of less than D- will not be accepted in transfer.  Grades for all courses that are normally considered part of a bachelor’s degree program, regardless of whether or not they transfer, will be used to determine the transfer grade point average.  The cumulative GPA is based upon all hours attempted, regardless of the grade earned, and to include both transfer and UIW credits.

  • Graduation Questions

    Can I participate in the commencement ceremonies if I only lack six hours?

    August candidates participate in the December graduation ceremonies regardless of the number of hours needed to complete during the summer. May Commencement is reserved for students who complete their degrees in May.

    Can I take a course at another institution during my last semester at UIW?

    Of the final 45 semester hours required for your degree, 36 must be completed in residence on the campus of UIW.  You may not take work at another institution during your final semester at UIW without prior approval from the Registrar's Office. You may complete the online form here.

    How do I know if I have honors?

    Honors announced during the Commencement Ceremonies are anticipated honors based upon grades earned through the last completed semester (or Fall/Spring Term I for ADCaP, Online, or graduate students).  The honors posted on the transcript, as part of the student's official record, are based upon all grades earned at the University of the Incarnate Word through the final semester.  The posted honors may differ from the announced honors.  Undergraduate students who complete bachelor's degree requirements and have earned a minimum of 45 semester hours at the University (excluding pass/fail courses), are eligible to graduate with honors.  The level of honors will be determined by the grade point average achieved in all college-level semester hours attempted, to include transfer work.  For the distinction Cum Laude, the student must have a 3.5 cumulative average.  To graduate Magna Cum Laude and Summa Cum Laude, the student must maintain averages of 3.7 and 3.9 respectively.  Graduate students who complete their programs with a 4.0 average graduate with distinction.  You may view your cumulative GPA on-line at Bannerweb.

    How long does it take to receive a degree audit once I apply to graduate?

    It takes approximately four to six weeks to receive the degree audit once you apply to graduate and if you apply according to the deadline on the application.  After you receive your audit, you and your advisor will need to work through any deficiencies noted by the deadline indicated on the audit.

     How many tickets will I receive for Commencement?

    The number of tickets issued each year is dependent upon the number of students graduating.  We must assume that all students want to participate and plan accordingly.  Tickets for those who indicate that they are not participating are reissued to those who need more tickets.  The exact number of tickets issued is determined after the last day to register or add for the semester during which Commencement ceremonies are held.  Because we rely upon you to provide information to us about your plans for graduation, you must respond to our requests for information and return documents or phone calls promptly.

     Is there an August Commencement ceremony?

    At the present time, we do not have a separate August Commencement ceremony.  Students completing their degrees during the summer months participate in the December Commencement ceremony.

     What is the Graduate Finale?

    The Graduation Finale is our final opportunity to share the excitement of your graduation in a relaxed and comfortable environment. The Finale is an unscripted event where you may take care of your final business with the University before final exams and Commencement. You may also pick up your Commencement tickets, cap and gown and other items of interest as well. You will have the opportunity to visit with representatives from several offices as well as enjoy refreshments with your classmates.

    When are Community Service hours due for graduation?

    Community Service hours must be completed and documented in the Registrar’s Office before you apply to graduate or be attached to the application for graduation. Forty-five hours of Community Service are required.  Placement assistance is available through our Ettling Center for Civic Leadership.  Your Community Service must be documented to satisfy graduation requirements.  We encourage you to complete your Community Service requirements early in your academic career to prevent compliance problems during your final, very busy semester.

    When should I apply to graduate?

    Undergraduates should apply to graduate when they have accumulated 80 semester hours.  Graduate and doctoral students should apply one year before their intended date of graduation.  When you are within a year of graduating, you will receive notification from the Registrar's Office instructing you on the process.

    When is Commencement rehearsal?

    We do not hold a rehearsal for Commencement. Instead, we provide information about Commencement during the Graduation Finale, usually held the week before Commencement. During the Finale, we distribute your Commencement tickets and caps and gowns as well as information from the Career Services Office, the Alumni Association, and the Office of Graduate Studies and Research. We also distribute printed instructions and information about the Commencement ceremonies.   Representatives from other offices are also available to assist as you complete the final requirements to participate in the ceremony.  You may also want to stop by the campus bookstore to buy your official UIW alumni merchandise.  This is a come-and-go event with no scheduled program.

    When is the last day to complete the requirements for my degree?

    The final day for completing all work for your degree is noon on the Friday before the ceremonies. Work for School of Professional Studies and Applied Sciences students must be completed by the last day of the final term.

    Where is the Commencement ceremony held? Why doesn't UIW hold Commencement somewhere else?

    Commencement ceremonies are held in the Convocation Center and at the Freeman Coliseum.

  • Transfer Credit Questions

    How do I know if you have received my transcripts?

    When we receive your transcripts, they are evaluated and posted to your academic history record.  You may view the evaluated courses on-line using your PIN in the secure log-in area at Bannerweb.

    How do I know what courses transferred and how they count toward a degree?

    When we receive your transcripts, they are evaluated and posted to your academic history record.  You may view the evaluated courses on-line using your PIN in the secure log-in area at Bannerweb

    Will a grade of D transfer?

    Grades of D- or higher will be accepted in transfer.  This policy applies for new students transferring to UIW and to UIW students who take classes at other institutions after matriculating at UIW. Although such grades and courses are accepted in transfer, no grade less than a "C" may be applied to fulfill course requirements in the major, minor, concentration, teaching field, specialization or support work. Pre-requisites required for courses in the major, minor, concentration, teaching field, specialization or support work must also be completed with a grade of C or higher.

    What classes transfer from San Antonio College (or any other institution)?

    Courses that are considered "college level" (not remedial, developmental, or vocational/technical) will transfer to UIW.  Refer to the Transfer Equivalency link for the San Antonio area schools.

    What is the difference between transfer work and inter-institutional work?

    Through a cooperative agreement with Our Lady of the Lake University and St. Mary's University, UIW students may enroll at either of these institutions and the work will count at UIW as though it were taken in residence.  Enrollment in these courses satisfy the residency requirement and count in the students' GPA.  Transfer work (to incomplete credit by examination) does not satisfy residency requirements and will not count in the GPA.

    What do I need to do if I want to take a course at another institution during the summer?

    After matriculating at UIW as a degree-seeking student, a student must obtain prior written approval to transfer any additional credits from other institutions (on the Request to Study at Another Institution form).   You may complete the online Request to Study at Another Institution form by clicking here.

  • Miscellaneous Questions

    Can I get my friends phone number, address, and schedule?

    Because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we are restricted in what we can release about our students and to whom.  We can provide the phone number and address of the student unless the student has a confidentiality block.  Student schedules are not considered directory information and will not be released to the public.

    Can I get copies of documents from my files in the Registrar's Office?

    Once you are admitted and register for classes, documents submitted for admission are considered the property of UIW and may not be copied for release to the student.  If you need copies of the documents submitted, you will need to contact the institution from which the documents were sent.

    How do I get a UIW catalog and schedule of classes?

    You may view the catalog and schedule on-line at Bannerweb or online through the Registrar's Office webpage.

    How do I get a copy of my transcript?

    You may request a copy of your official transcript through Bannerweb. Further information regarding instructions on obtaining a copy of your official record can be found here.

    How much will a course cost?

    Because each individual tuition/financial aid package is different, the Registrar's Office does not release information about tuition charges or financial aid.  You should contact the Business Office (210) 829-6044 for information about the current tuition.  You may review your bill by entering the secure log-on screen via the web at Bannerweb.  You may also pay your bill on-line at Bannerweb.

    Is there class on Wednesday before Thanksgiving or Thursday before Easter?

    Classes do not meet on Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  Classes do meet on Thursday before Easter.


If we did not provide a response to your question in the FAQs area, please send your inquiries to