University of the Incarnate Word
Roadmap for Improving Undergraduate Student Writing
The Writing Academy will serve four 1-year cohorts. Over the course of each Academy, faculty teams will
develop writing intensive courses.
- Some faculty teams will develop a sequence (writing ladder) of writing-intensive courses
within their majors.
- Other faculty teams will revise curriculum for key Core courses.
- Each cohort will consist of 15 faculty members. Faculty members receive a stipend
for participating in the Writing Academy.
Short workshops through the Center for Teaching and Learning and the Writing and Learning Center
will be offered during the Quality Enhancement Plan. These workshops will be offered
for full- and part-time faculty and will include topics to enhance the quality of
undergraduate student writing. Topics include:
- Creating Writing Assignments
- Using Informal Writing
- Timesaving Strategies
- Using Rubrics
- Prewriting Activities
- Minimal Marking
- Minimizing Plagiarism
- Engaging English Language Learners
- Electronic Writing Genres
Workshops and technology upgrades will be used to support the English Department’s
revision of the first-year composition sequence
(updated Feb 19, 2015)